Wednesday, August 18, 2010

To Melbourne!

On Week 9 of Term 2, during Sabbatical Week, I went to Melbourne. During Sabbaticals? You must be wondering. Well, that is because I went on a school trip with my CCA friends to melbourne. Not only did we get to perform in front of many Australians, we also visited some of the tourist attractions there.

What i remember most at Melbourne was definitely the trip to the museum. In the museum there were real, actual dinosaur skeletons! As I entered the museum, the first item on display to catch my eye was the mammoth skeleton of an underwater dinosaur. If i am not wrong, the head itself of the dinosaur was around 3 meters. How could I have not noticed it! Needless to say, such a marvelous museum would definitely have many tourists. I tried hard to get a good picture of this magnificent creature, as people constantly walked into my camera view.

Another display item I wanted to see was the asteroid. I definitely expected something exciting. However, the asteroid looked just like a stone. A stone that could be found anywhere on Earth. Well, I can't blame the asteroid, I mean, an asteroid is supposed to be a lump of rock.
After taking a quick look at the asteroid, I quickly moved on to see more of the dinosaurs. I even saw the skeletons of the O-So-Mighty T-REX! It was huge! Though not as huge as the underwater dinosaur, it was definitely an unforgettable and amazing sight. The skeleton of the T-rex was so huge, I needed to take a video to capture the thing on camera!
The museum not only housed land and underwater dinosaurs, flying dinosaurs were also featured. The dinosaur was around 6m from its beak to its hind legs.

The skeleton of the flying dinosaur was definitely my favourite. Movies, Tv shows often feature dinosaurs inside. However, most of the dinosaurs they show include the T-Rex and many other fearsome dinosaurs, but hardly those flying dinosaurs. Thus, I was greatly shocked when I was that a "bird" could be so gargantuan.

Other than the museum, we also went to the Great Ocean Road. The scenery was beautiful. Plus, the weather there was splendid. Unlike the one-season-throughout-the-year Singapore, Melbourne had 4 seasons. During my stay in Melbourne, it was around the end of winter, where the weather was not too cold, and not too hot. It was perfect. Anyway, going back to the Great Ocean Road. There were stairs leading to different places, one of them leading to a water spout. Sadly, we did not manage to see it. Firstly, we only had 1 hour at the place. Waiting for the water spout alone could take 50 minutes. Furthermore, the hike that lead to the water spout could easily take up to 30 minutes. It was a big disappoint indeed. We also went to see the 12 apostles. It was also a great sight. Due to erosion and the movement of plates, unfortunately, some of the apostles had already collapsed.

All in all, I felt my trip to Melbourne was a memorable one, where not only I could learn about the culture of Australians, I also learnt a lot from looking at the dinosaurs, reading the description. Performing in front of an audience I did not know also let me overcome a little bit of my fear of standing on stage. If I had a chance, I would definitely go to Melbourne again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home